Saturday, November 13, 2010

Croissant with Banana and Chocolate


Last Friday we went out with an Italian friend of ours. After watching a movie, topped with a couple of beers and while the time was already past midnight I suddenly figured that I was a bit hungry. The fact that beer is a liquid bread didn't really help, and my thoughts were jumping from one nice food to the other. At some point I realized that I was already thinking about the great breakfast that I would cook the next morning. Banana and chocolate croissants! I have to admit that the idea of mixing bananas with Nutella is not mine. Back in Thessaloniki (my home city), while being a student, this was one of my most favorite sweet crepes from Valentino. Ok, maybe second favorite after Nutella with cookies' crumples. So I figured: "What's better than crepe with Nutella + banana? A croissant with Nutella + banana!!!". And here I was, in the middle of the night, slightly drunk and thinking about my breakfast!

INGREDIENTS:
1 pack of croissant dough, that makes 6 croissants

1 banana

6 tsp Nutella

1 egg lightly beaten (optional)

1. Preheat the oven at 200°C.

2. With a sharp knife cut the dough along the marked lines, so that you obtain 6 triangles.

3. Spread 1 tsp of Nutella over the surface of each triangle avoiding the top.

4. Cut the banana in half and slice each half in 3 pieces. Place one piece on each dough triangle, along it's short side.

5. Holding the banana inside, roll the croissant in a nice roll, starting from the short side of the triangle. Don't press to much. There should be some space between the layers for the croissants to "grow". Otherwise the croissants won't be puffy.

6. Brush the croissants with the beaten egg.

7. Place the croissants on a buttered baking tray and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until they are nicely golden and crispy.

8. Let them cool a bit and serve with some custard sugar.


No comments: