Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chicken Fajitas


I don't know how does this happen, but every time I go shopping for something I finally buy something completely different! Like today for example, we went to buy candles and ended up in front of the stand with ingredients for ethnic food. So, eventually, we bought tortilla wraps, special spice mix and Mexican salsa and made Fajitas for dinner! Yum!

INGREDIENTS:

4 large corn tortillas
1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 medium onion, cut in wedges
1 green and 1 red bell peppers, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup spring onions, finely chopped
3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
juice of half lime
1 cup canned red kidney beans, mushed
2 tbsp avocado oil for frying (I used chilly flavored avocado oil for extra spicy taste)
3 tbsp fajitas spice mix dissolved in 1/2 cup water
1 cup Mexican salsa (I chose mild salsa but it's totally up to you!)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp hot smoked chilly flakes
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Guacamole or low-fat thick yogurt to serve (optional)

1. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and grill it until golden outside and cooked through. Cut in small stripes.
2. In a heavy pan heat the oil. Stir fry the peppers, onions and garlic. Do not overcook the vegetables! They should be slightly cooked but still crunchy. Set aside.
3. Pour some more oil to the pan and add the chicken, diced tomatoes, salsa and fajitas mix and cook for few minutes until the most of the liquid evaporates.
4. Return the vegetables to the pan and add spring onions, parsley and lime juice. Mix well, season with coriander, chilly flakes, salt and pepper and set aside, allowing for flavors to mix.
5. Brush the tortillas with some oil and warm them in a pan.
6. Divide the mushed kidney beans in 4 parts and spread each part over one tortilla. Place some of the chicken mix in the middle of the tortilla, pour some guacamole or yogurt if using, and roll into a tight wrap. Enjoy!

2 comments:

mia xara said...

I'm actually glad you ended up elsewhere while shopping,you reminded me I haven't made Mexican in a very long time..What a tasty recipe,I will most certainly enjoy making it! XO

Sunshine said...

@mia xara: To be honest, I never plan the meals (unless I'm having people over). I just walk around the store, get inspired by the ingredients and follow my instincts when cooking! Works fine for me!